If you’d like to partner with Emily as a sponsor for the Simplified podcast, please email: email@example.com
Episode 26: Simplify Your Kitchen and Pantry (Create Calm & Clear Clutter #2)
You guys loved our first Create Calm & Clear Clutter episode and asked for more—and we listened! Here’s the thing: we’ve all been scrolling on Instagram and seen those pantries with matching canisters and labels perfectly facing forward, and those kitchens with gorgeous, clean countertops. But is having and keeping up that picture-perfect pantry possible when your house has people who leave mail on the counter and kids who riffle through the goldfish bin like they’re panning for actual gold? Emily shares her tips to streamline your kitchen and pantry and create a sense of ease. From nixing multiple spatulas to tips on the must-have organizers for your cabinets and drawers, Emily shows that keeping your kitchen and pantry simple and manageable is within your reach.
Thanks to our affiliate partner!
GROVE COLLABORATIVE | Find home & wellness products great for your family and the planet. Spend $30 on your first order, and get a FREE Mrs. Meyers Gift Set! https://emilyley.com/grove
Simplify Your Kitchen and Pantry
1. Start with the pantry. Declutter, reorganize, and zone your products so it’s easy to find what you need.
2. Clean out the fridge. Take everything out, check expiration dates, and group like items together.
3. Clean out kitchen cabinets and drawers. Take everything out, keep only what you use frequently, and donate that extra carrot peeler.
4. Clear off the kitchen counters. Keep only what you use daily in reach, and find a new home for the mail and keys and all the things that end up here at the end of the day.
5. Organize your recipe cards and cut down on cookbooks. Get all your favorite recipes together and organize them. Having too many choices is paralyzing, so keep what speaks to you and donate the rest.
“I underestimated how much physical, mental, and emotional effort I was giving to maintaining all of our stuff.” – Emily Ley
“That's why we say ruthless, because a declutter could take you a month if you sat with every item and lamented over it. Go quickly.” – Emily Ley
“There's beauty in having only one set of high quality dishes, or one good vegetable peeler instead of three.” – Emily Ley
A Blessing for Your Week
I hope you find a few minutes to take stock of what's important and let go of the rest.
I hope you find gratitude for the abundance of blessings you have in your life.
And above all, I hope you're able to create spaces that make you feel calm and comforted as you take time to love your people well.
Simplicity Tip of the Week
Do you know that spices tend to lose their flavor in a year? Since spice containers don't usually have an expiration date on them, try to label them with the date you bought them when you picked them up from the store. Use masking tape and a Sharpie to write the purchase date, or just use a label maker. Either way, you'll find that your food has a bit more zing when you keep fresh spices in your pantry.
New Book Alert: Build a Life You Love!
Get Emily’s new book, Growing Boldly: Dare to Build a Life You Love, wherever you buy books!
Resources, Links, Mentions from This Episode
- Stackable Bamboo Storage Bins
- OXO Storage Containers
- Green Chef - Meal Kit Delivery Service (use code simplified100 to get $100 off and free shipping!)
Subscribe to The Simplified Podcast!
Let’s Be Friends!