SIMPLICITY: Jessica Muroff
May 12, 2015
Hi, I’m Jessica! I’m a woman who wears several hats, like so many of us. I’m a mom, wife, nonprofit CEO, friend, sister, daughter, mentor, board member, giver and doer. I live in Tampa, Florida and I love our community! I’m proud that my career gives me the opportunity to create positive change in our community. This is a strong part of who I am and the imprint I want to leave in this world. I lead a terrific nonprofit called Frameworks of Tampa Bay and we build the social and emotional skills of youth. I have two daughters, Danica and Alexandra, ages 9 and 7. I also have two furry babies, my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
How do you take care of yourself so that you’re physically and mentally prepared to be your best self for others?
I make it a priority to plan time to take care of myself. If I don’t put this as one of my priorities, I can’t do all that I do to support my family, my friends, my team, and my community. There are a few things that I do:
I exercise. I dedicate time to fitness; it is something that is important to me and the best outlet for relieving stress. My favorite workouts are pilates and boxing.
I meditate. I do this at least five times per week. It is important to clear the mental clutter. It takes discipline, but it is well worth the effort.
I write. I love to write, if I’m not writing for my organization, I’m blogging at BePresentProject.com
I create. I love to cook, bake, craft, and use my creative side as often as I can. This is a great stress relief for me.
I love. I love as much as I can each and every day. I work hard to show and give my love. Doing this makes me whole.
In your house, how do the mundane parts of life get done?
With love, fun and music. Always.
I am a bit addicted to cleaning and organizing. I’m busy thinking big picture and focusing on the future success of my nonprofit organization every day, the mundane parts of my life are one of my favorite ways to unwind.
What is one tradition or routine that’s really important to you? And why?
Each and every night my family sits together around our dinner table for good food and conversation. We always start by asking the question, “What are you grateful for?” It is my favorite tradition that instills happiness, hopefulness, and perspective in my family.
Another one of my favorite traditions is Sunday Night Dinner. I’ve been enjoying Sunday dinners with my sister and her family for more than six years now. This time spent with family (and cousins having so much fun together!!) is the best part of my week.
Your PICK SIX: What 6 products can you absolutely not live without?
1. Evernote – When I don’t have time to read articles, or if I need to jot a quick note, I use Evernote.
2. Notebooks – I love to write notes in meetings and I keep a notebook completely dedicated to my daily priorities.
3. Note cards/personal stationery – I write hundreds of handwritten notes each and every year. I love having a great supply of stationery and note cards. I buy these everywhere! I love shopping at Papyrus and Target.
4. Small purses – I’m on the go a lot and I don’t really like carrying large bags. I just need enough for my keys, phone, lip gloss, and business cards. My favorite is my GiGi New York’s All In One Bag.
5. Pink Kitchen Aid Mixer – I really love to bake. I try to challenge myself often and this is one of my favorite creative outlets. (I have a hot pink kitchen aid mixer…I LOVE pink!!)
6. Magic Grip Hair Pins Magic Grip Hair Pins– I have long hair (my girls do, too!) and I enjoy wearing it many different ways. These pins are the best for putting my hair up in so many different ways and keeping it in place!
Anything else you think our readers would love to know? Any additional tips or systems that help you keep it all together?
Being present – This is my commitment in life. I am abundantly blessed and I want to enjoy each and every moment, even the challenging moments. I try my best to be present so that I can make each day a story worth telling. This means putting away my phone when I’m with loved ones or in important meetings. Disconnecting for longer periods of time just to give my brain a break from social media and email.
Follow along with Jessica:
Instagram – @jessmuroff
Twitter – @bepresentmom
The Simplicity Series features busy gals, in different stages of life, making what matters happen and tips and tricks they’ve found to be helpful. Simplicity is about building margin into your life and spending time on and with that which fuels your heart. While we love to share products and services that help us day to day, but simplicity is about HEART and intentionally choosing the thing that matters most (your TREASURE) more than anything money can buy. We wear many hats and we know you do too, so we’d love to hear your thoughts as well! For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34