Shorts, dresses, swimsuits, footwear, hats: Liz and Laura give the scoop on their must-have pieces in their summer wardrobe that are perfect for days by the water, on a hike, by the pool, or just lazing around in the AC at home.
Thanks to our episode sponsors!
BETTERHELP | Get 10% off your first month at https://betterhelp.com/simplified
HATCH | Get up to 15% off (and free shipping!) at https://www.hatch.co/simplified
HONEYLOVE | Get 20% off your whole order at https://honeylove.com promo code SIMPLIFIED
Liz + Laura’s Summer Wardrobe Recs
Laura’s Summer Uniform
- High-waisted workout shorts (these are from Abercrombie)
- A crop top (I love the Mom Crop from my favorite boutique, Polished Prints in STL)
- On a video call: throw on a button-up top
- At the ballfield: add a cap and a belt bag, and you’re good to go!
Liz’s Summer Uniform
- I’m Team Shirt Dress
Things to Wear Outside (where you look cute, but you can also sweat)
- Athleta Tennis Dress (it has pockets *and* shorts underneath!)
- Comfy bike shorts (Liz swears by this two-pack for $18.99 from Costco—yes, Costco!)
- Big, oversized T-shirts
- Liz’s Holy Grail summer dress (at Old Navy!)
By the Pool
- Summersault swimsuits (especially their ruched swim skirt you can slip on for added coverage)
- Also, Summersault has a great long, white linen cover-up that Laura loves!
- A cute hat with a black bow in the back
- The strapless J.Crew swimsuit Emily + Liz love
- Liz loves one-piece swimsuits from Aerie
Maxi Dresses for a Nice Night Out
- A black maxi will take you far (Laura likes maxis from Anthropologie)
- She also loves this sage and white striped dress from Summersault
- Liz loves maxis from Madewell
- Pro tip: wear bike shorts under your dresses
- White Birkenstock sandals (or, be like Liz and wear fake “Firkenstocks” for fraction of the price)
- Nikes you can get dirty and be okay with your life
- Cute, flat sandals from Steve Madden
- Also: Old Navy really shines here
- Liz: Team Jean Shorts (especially American Eagle jean shorts)
- Laura: Team Pull-On Linen Shorts
Bags + Accessories!
- Anthropologie clutches
- Circular rattan summer bag
- Bogg bags for the beach
- Tiny Tassel x Simplified earrings
- Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen
- Supergoop Play Lotion sunscreen (keep this by your front/back door—it has a pump bottle!)
- Supergoop Play spray body mist sunscreen
- Supergoop lip balm sunscreen
- For babies: mineral baby sunscreen stick by Bare Republic
- Makeup: all things Ilia brand (especially the mascara and the skin tint)
- Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter
- NARS cream blush stick
- Chair clips for your pool/beach towels
- Lime LaCroix
- Mom Water
- Spicy Ranch Water
A Blessing for Your Week
May you always remember your body is good,
And that she was made to do good things.
She was made to help you float in a cool pool of water on a sunny day,
And help your kids enjoy frosty soft serve on a summer evening.
She was made to help you capture fireflies
And slip your hand into your beloved’s during a drive-in movie date.
She’s carried you through decades of warm summer memories,
And she’ll help you create beautiful new ones for the rest of your days.
Simplicity Tip of the Week
Band-Aids are a summer staple. I (Liz) always keep Band-Aid Hydro Seal bandages (not sponsored, just loved!) in my bag anytime sandals/flip-flops rub a blister on me. They’re perfect, because they completely cover the blister and make it so that I can walk around, I can shower with them no problem, and they don’t fall off until the wound has healed. All the wins here.
Get Emily’s New Book!
Subscribe to The Simplified Podcast!
Listen to the Podcast Ad Free + Get Early Access to New Episodes!
SUBSCRIBE to Emily’s Substack!
Let’s Be Friends!