February 01, 2012
My amazingly talented friend, McKay Pittman of Oatmeal Lace Design came over last weekend to teach me something I’ve always been afraid to try.
Yikes. Sewing machines remind me of some weird machine that might blow up or take off or melt if I press the wrong button. While our husbands grilled and our little boys entertained each other, we poured a glass of chardonnay and went to town. We sewed Bryan an M&M pouch (he LOVES M&Ms and it was all I could think to call the little pocket we sewed). Bryan didn’t think I could do it and so I couldn’t wait to SHOW him.
So today, after our weekly walk along the trail near my house with the boys, McKay came over to help me sew my first real project: seersucker pants for my little Southern man who’s learning to walk. (No steps yet, but they’re just around the corner!) All of his pants are too long, so I wanted some cute little “cropped” pants that were long enough and short enough. Make sense?
McKay is a WIZ at this stuff. She helped me cut the fabric, sew each seam, measure Brady and create the elastic waistband and cuffs. Once we got them on him, they were PERFECT!! The total cost (thanks to McKay for lending me her sewing machine!) was $6.23 (the seersucker was 30% off at Joann’s + the elastic = $6.23!) This is the pattern we used (we altered it just a tad to eliminate the button and turn the cuff to the outside). Its from the book Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.
Brady loves them and isn’t tripping on his pants trying to learn to walk anymore. Now this boy just needs a shirt on! : ) And mama needs some MAKEUP!
Sidenote: Oatmeal Lace is such a great place to buy bibs and burp clothes (AND RIDICULOUSLY CUTE DIAPER BAGS!! I’m on the waiting list!) We have eight thousand (no really) bibs and McKay’s are our absolute favorite. She backs them with terry cloth and they’re super absorbent – especially if your little one likes to eat/wear messy foods like mine does.
How did I get Brady to pose for all these photos, you ask? Well, goldfish. Yes, yummy processed cheesy goldfish. They apparently also lured Briggs into the picture. : ) We’ll go back to fresh blueberries for snack time.In honor of my very first sewing project, McKay has offered to give away TWO super cute bibs to one lucky reader!! Check out handsome Beckett below in her new chevron bib!
- PRIZE: Two super cute (my absolute favorite!) Oatmeal Lace bibs pictured above – modeled by the ever-adorable Beckett Pittman!
- TO ENTER: Comment on this post with the words “I NEED THESE BIBS!”
- BONUS: Tell me your favorite place to buy cute baby clothes/accessories! I actually just had some cute clothes made for Brady that I’ll be sharing soon!
- CONTEST ENDS: Thursday, February 8th at 8pm EST
- WINNER: One lucky lady or gent
- PRIZE SHIPS: Anywhere in the USA
- NOTES: One entry per e-mail address is permitted. The winner will be selected using random.org and announced on Thursday. Good luck!