Simplifying Life in a Crisis #4: Shows, Movies, & Books to Catch Up On
March 15, 2020
Hi, friends! It's television / podcast / book reading time! In this post, I'd like to share a few shows and movies that would be fun to catch up on during the crisis. I'll list a few grown-up shows as well as some kid / family-friendly shows / movies. I'd love to hear what you're watching, listening to, or reading over on Instagram. (We're working on getting comments turned back on here on the blog so we can all interact together here as well).
Q: What shows do you recommend I add to my list to watch if we're not able to leave our home?
- Gilmore Girls (such a sweet show and long running)
- Gossip Girl (It'll suck you in)
- Parenthood (I cried when this series ended)
- You (Season 2 is A LOT, so beware)
- The Crown (Oh I just love this one)
- Call the Midwife (one of my favorites)
- Bloodline (binge watched this really fast and loved it)
- Revenge (great suspense)
- Reign (if you love period dramas, this one is fantastic)
- Mad Men (watched this with Bryan and we loved it)
- The Office (always a good idea)
- Stranger Things (woah)
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel (spicy and but hysterical)
- Handmaids Tale (woah)
- This is Us (if you know, you know)
Q: What are some shows or movies my kids might enjoy?
- Ask the Storybots
- Anything Disney, of course
- Frozen 2 (out on Disney+ now!)
- Beat Bugs
- Goldie & Bear
- Llama Llama
- Motown Magic
- The Magic School Bus Rides Again
- Veggie Tales in the City
- The Who Was? Show
- The Big Family Cooking Showdown
- Brain Games
- Harry Potter (NOW IS THE TIME! DO IT!)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Anne with an E
I highly recommend Common Sense Media as a resource for vetting shows and their age appropriate-ness. It's fantastic.
Q: What are some of your favorite books I can listen to on Audible with my free time?
I often list my favorite books of the season here on the blog. Here are a few posts you may find interesting. Beware, I have an eclectic taste in books-I'm all over the genres! I use Audible to listen to audio books.
Q: What are you reading right now?
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller
- Essentialism by Greg McKeown (recently finished and adored, top 5 faves)
Here are a few more resources that you may find helpful:
- Reese's Book Club (love following her recommendations)
- Read with Jenna (great suggestions here too)
- Ashley Brooke's Book Club (love Ashley's ideas, found The Royal We through her and fell in love with it).
- I've also written a few and would love for you to read them. During this time, I would recommend When Less Becomes More if you aren't sure where to start. It's all about embracing a slower pace, finding peace where you are, and eliminating distractions. A Simplified Life is great if you're looking to declutter during your time at home (this one is very tactical). Grace, Not Perfection will be food for your soul if you're dealing with high expectations and unrealistic standards. A Standard of Grace is a journal style book with prompts and space for reflection.